Sunday, April 10, 2005

Sabbath Snow

I pastor a small church (the Springs Reformed Church-RPCNA http://www.springsreformed.org in Colorado Springs, CO) and today we have a 'snow day'. That is, this morning we have blizzard-like conditions and since we have folks that travel over an hour to get here, we decided that the safest thing to do is to cancel our services this morning.

It is a bit odd for me to have a 'snow day'. It just doesn't seem right! I study all week and prepare to lead this congregation in the worship of God. This, I know, is significant (2 Tim. 4:1-2), but I still need to keep it in perspective...

...this is the Lord's Day after all! This is God's Day and He controls the weather and He has decided that this Sabbath will be too snowy for this little congregation to gather together for worship. And, He has decided that this preacher will not deliver his sermon today to this people.

Who can know the ways of the Lord? A man plans his ways, but the Lord directs his path. From my perspective I am tempted to interpret today's events in light of 'me'. But there is a whole lot more going on in this world and going on today, than 'my sermon' or even the congregation that I pastor.

Each will take this day, hopefully, from the Lord, accepting His providencial decision to pour forth a blizzard, locking us all up in our homes with our families today.

But this is still the Lord's Day. He still owns it and He still calls us to delight in Him.

As far as I am concerned, I will lead my family in worship this morning and then spend the day with them. In fact we will take this as a reprive from the Lord and a time to spend time with each other and to edify each other.

Among other things (e.g. discussing things with my wife, talking with my girls, wrestling with my boys, etc.), I will sit by the window, cup of coffee in hand, and I will just watch the white come down and blow about...

...I think I needed this Sabbath snow.

No comments: