Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Rude Awakening!


I decided to go for a final 2008 run this afternoon. Some runners from a local running club were going to run Waldo Canyon, which I have run many times, and so I thought I would give it a go. I particularly wanted to get out on a little longer run to test my knee after weeks of resting it...

...what a rude awakening!

I tried to keep pace with them up the first section, and did so for most of it, but went anaerobic and struggled to breathe the rest of the run (7.5 M in the mountains). I am really bummin' 'cause of my recently announced plan to run the Grand Canyon R2R2R in May 2009. I realize now how much I have to train, and how far I have fallen since October, when I was able to run 50K fairly easily.

I was one of the last ones in tonight (I think 4th from the last), and while everyone else was having a beer in the parking lot, I ran straight to my car and drove off (totally anti-social...but also, I was totally hypoxic!)

THE plan to start immediately when I get home from the wedding: Run and lose the extra 5-10 I picked up during this rest time!