Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Knee & Me (Running Schedule/Goals)


O.K...so I guess I did something to my knee running Palo Duro.  It didn't hurt the entire run, but the next morning I felt like I had wacked in on something...like a bruise.  My wife, who is a highly skilled massage therapist, says I probably bruised a tendon and it just needs to rest.  That is fine, but I am itching to run!

In fact, I still plan to run the Pikes Peak Marathon route before the end of the year, only because I want to run the two, North American, marathons with the highest and lowest points respectively-Pikes Peak and Death Valley-in a single year.  This knee thing though is slowing me down right now...

I ran about 9 miles in the Garden of the Gods yesterday with my wife, but it bugged me all day.  I ran about 3 miles last Saturday, and I could feel it then too.  I thought that with almost a week off since the 50K, I would be good to go, but today my knee feels like it did the day after Palo Duro...?  I might try to take a whole week off of any running at all, have Elke work on it, and see if that wont get me through this right now.

I plan to solo/self support the Pikes Peak run, stashing a few fuel drops on the way up, and, taking advantage (by way of a few dollars in cash), of Barr Camp and the snack bar at the summit (this will be one time I am glad it is there).  I should be able to get'r done in about 6 hours.  The big question is whether or not the dog (Ezra) can make this run.  He normally does about 5-15 miles at a time with me, but I am not sure that he can do 26.2 of moutain running.  He is going on 8 years old, but acts like he is 3.  So immature...